Friday, October 10, 2014

FF: Vegetarian Coconut Curry

Let me start of by saying that this recipe is really easy to make, and is great when you want a hearty meatless meal, or something rich and warm on a cold night. I have always liked to eat curry, but had never really tried to make my own. When I started my 101 in 1001 List, one of my goals was to try 30 new recipes that I had never attempted before, and curry was one of them. I got some inspiration on Pinterest and some other websites, but a lot of them called for things that I didn't really have on hand, or when I tried the recipe, it was watered-down and not super flavorful. After a few not so great attempts, that Ace at just because he was hungry, not because they tasted good, I got one that he and I both really love.


Here's what you'll need to make it: (FYI this recipe makes TONS, enough to feed 5-6 people, so feel free to cut the recipe in half, I make a lot and then eat it for the next few days' lunches)

  • 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu, drained and cubed into 3/4 inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (really any oil will work, but I prefer coconut for the flavor and health benefits) 
  • 1 medium-sized onion, diced 
  • 1 bell pepper, diced (I prefer to use red, orange or yellow, because they are sweeter, but green will work too) 
  • 6-8 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (in the pictures below, I used rainbow carrots because that is what I had on hand)
  • 2 large russet potatoes (or 3 medium sized ones), peeled and cubed 
  • 1 cup of whole fresh green beans, ends removed (you could substitute frozen as well, and it would be just as good) 
  • 1 inch of grated fresh ginger (or 2 teaspoons of ground ginger powder) 
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon of garlic powder) 
  • 3 tablespoons of curry powder (you can adjust this up or down, depending on how spicy you like your food, any where from 2 (mild) to 4-5 (spicy) would be fine. Three is an average heat level) 
  • 1 tablespoon of turmeric 
  • 1 teaspoon of coriander
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin 
  • 2 cans of coconut milk 
Optional things to add in: 
  • 1 cup of baby corn (I love to add this, but didn't have any on hand the day I made this batch) 
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup of any other veggies that you like, really. Sweet potatoes, leeks, peas, just add in what you have or what makes you happy! 
  • 1 tablespoon of red curry paste, but only add this in if you like your food on the spicier side 

Directions: 

Step 1: Place your cubed potatoes in a medium sized pot and cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil, and allow potatoes to cook in boiling water for about 5 minutes, add in the carrots and continue to boil for another 7-8 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are fork-tender. Drain the potatoes and carrots and set aside. (Forgot to take pictures of this! Sorry!) 

Step 2: Put the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in to a large non-stick pan, add in the onion, bell pepper and tofu. Sauté the onions, pepper and tofu over medium-high heat, until the tofu has some good brown color on it and the veggies have softened. This not only makes it taste yummy, but helps it to stay firm during the cooking process. This typically takes about 7-10 minutes. 




Step 3: While the tofu mixture is growing, in a small saucepan, bring about 2-3 cups of water to a boil. Drop your green beans into the boiling water for about 4 minutes, to soften just a little before you put them into the curry. Drain, and set aside. 


Step 4: After you tofu has reached the desired color, add in the curry powder, cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger and turmeric, while stirring constantly. Cook the tofu mixture and the spices in the pan for about 1 more minute, to help toast the spices and flavor the curry. 


Step 5: Add the 2 cans of coconut milk to the tofu mixture, and stir until well combined. The coconut milk will turn a beautiful yellow color as the spices begin to dissolve. 


Step 6: Add in the green beans, and stir to combine. 


Step 7: Add in the carrots and potatoes, and stir to combine. (the time I made this batch, I par-boiled the carrots and potatoes separately, so I added them separately... I didn't want to clean my medium sized pot, so I did it in two separated batches...either way works though)




Step 8: Cook the curry for another 5-7 minutes on medium heat, to allow flavors to combine. 


Step 9: Serve hot in a bowl on its own, or serve along side rice, couscous or quinoa. I made quinoa (pictured) with this batch, and it was super delicious. Ace even went back for seconds, and ate some the next day, which is a huge compliment for this dish! 


I hope you enjoy this recipe, it has definitely made it into our regular rotation! Let me know how it turns out, or send me some pics of what yours looks like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment