Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Kid Stuff is Hard

Alright, so I'm just going to come out and say it. Kids are gross. They do gross stuff, like Scar's new love for licking my arm, they carry lots of germs, and they get into everything yucky that is humanly possible. And while I love them so much, I some times get a little skeeved out by some of the stuff you have to deal with as a mom. No matter what it is, I try to not to let it show so it doesn't freak them out, while inside I'm yelling "THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!"

I ran into something a few days ago that was equal parts disgusting and terrifying, in true parenting fashion. This past weekend we noticed that Scar was getting a bit of diaper rash. We put cream on it like we normally would, and figured it would go away in a day or so. Then on Sunday afternoon, I went to change her diaper and noticed that where the rash was, there was a little red blister. It was about the size of the head of a pin, and I thought that was odd, but thought that maybe it was from her diaper chaffing her. About a hour later, she had a dirty diaper, so I went to change her and that blister had grown to about the size of a pencil eraser, it was MUCH bigger. The rash had also gotten a little bit bigger, and definitely more red. I put in a call to the pediatrician on-call, who called me back shortly thereafter. I described what was happening, and he thought that it was most likely some sort of skin infection, so he called in a prescription for me to start that night, and told me to come in the next morning to see him. Over the course of that night and the next morning, it got worse and about 10 or so more blisters popped up, and it moved to the other side of her diaper as well. It didn't hurt her or seem to even bother her, but it totally freaked me out! It looked super gross, and I just felt so badly for her.

When we went in the next morning, the doc took a look and told me that he believed it was bullous impetigo, which is a bacterial staph infection of the skin, and pretty contagious with direct contact. He prescribed her an oral antibiotic to start as well. He also took a culture of the bacteria to make sure it isn't MRSA (we are still waiting on the results from that culture), but told me to make sure that I'm washing my hands frequently and making sure that anything that comes in contact with that area is cleaned and sanitized (like her clothes, washcloths, etc.) because it is easily transferred from person to person.

Hey, you know what you should totally tell an anxious person?!?! Well telling me that there are super scary germs on my kid, that could be lots of other places totally didn't make me over-stress or anything ::rolls eyes:: So not only was I super grossed out by the rash (and I just wanted her to not have an infection anymore!), but I was/am panicking about there being germs everywhere. I have sanitized damn near every surface of my house like a billion times, and washed my hands, and the girls' hands more times than I can count.

It has gotten better over the past few days, but is still hanging on. I'm going to call tomorrow to hopefully get the results of the culture, but in the meantime my OCD tendencies are in over-drive and I'll keep on cleaning and disinfecting everything. Being a mom is the best thing that has ever happened to me, but damn it is stressful and yucky sometimes.

Tell me about your yuckiest kid stories, I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment